What’s the Difference Between a Comforter, Duvet, and Quilt?

Is it time to choose bedding for your home? There are lots of different types of bedding out there, and sometimes the names are used interchangeably. If you’re not familiar with the terms, this can be confusing. Let’s define and explain a few of the most common terms.

Three common types of bed coverings are comforters, quilts, and duvets. While these might seem the same, they’re actually not. Yes, all three are types of blankets or coverings for a bed. But how do they differ?

Let’s talk about comforters. “Comforter” is an American term. Comforters are commonly filled with a material that insulates, whether it’s natural, like cotton, wool, silk, or down; or synthetic, like polyester batting. Comforters are used with a fitted sheet on the bed and a top sheet, and are often sold in sets. Sets can include sheets, decorative pillows, bed skirts, shams, and the like. If they’re filled with down, they are referred to as “down comforters”. Comforters have stitching to keep the filling evenly distributed, and have attached shells made of cotton, silk, or polyester blends or fabrics. The shells are attached to the filling, and the whole comforter is one piece, unless the filling is down.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *